APARTMENTS NEAR SIENA, TUSCANY
DISTANCE FROM BORGO AL CERRO: ca 30 km (30 mins)
A glorious medieval hill-top city, with its entire historic centre practically intact .
- PIAZZA DEL CAMPO (wonderful to visit after dusk)
- TORRE DEL MANGIA and CIVIC MUSEUM (“Maesta’” by Simone Martini, and cycle of frescoes by Ambrogio Lorenzetti)
- CATHEDRAL (DUOMO) and BAPTISTERY (exquisite mosaic floors)
- MUSEO DELL' OPERA METROPOLITANA (Cathedral Museum)
- OSPEDALE DI SANTA MARIA DELLA SCALA (former hospital, now also houses archeological museum)
- BASILICA DEI SERVI, SAN DOMENICO, SANTA MARIA IN PROVENZANO, and SANCTUARY OF SANTA CATERINA (patron saint of Italy).
- PALIO (traditional, folkloristic horse-race) on 2 July and 16 August, with its unique atmospherics and level of participation by the townsfolk
- Events linked to wine, food, and culture throughout the year
- Antiques market: every third Sunday of month in Piazza del Mercato (behind Palazzo Pubblico)
Siena can be reached from Borgo al Cerro in around 30 minutes; there are handy, centrally-located car parks in various parts of the city (check prices). For those wishing to travel by other means of transport, there is a very convenient scheduled bus service from Colle di Val d’Elsa (10 km – leave your car there), or you could take a taxi there and back. Check opening times of churches, monuments and museums, and whether you need to book.
FINE FOOD AND WINE
Pici (kind of thick spaghetti), zuppa di pane (with vegetables), scottiglia (rabbit or pork casserole), game, cured meats (esp cinta senese). Sweets include ricciarelli biscuits, and panforte, a local delicacy.
- Wines: Chianti classico D.O.C.G.