APARTMENTS NEAR SIENA, TUSCANY
DISTANCE FROM BORGO AL CERRO: ca 95 km (90 mins)
This fine town which still has its 13th century walls, still retains its Renaissance charm. From its hill-top position (605 mt above sea level) it dominates the surrounding valleys.
- PALAZZO AVIGNONESI (attributed to Vignola)
- PALAZZO COCCONI (attributed to Antonio da San Gallo il Vecchio)
- LA TORRE DI PULCINELLA (1524) and the LOGGIA DEL GRANO (Vignola)
- PALAZZO CERVINI
- CHIESA DI SANT’AGOSTINO (15 century, work of Michielozzo)
- DUOMO (late-Renaissance, with 14th century bell-tower)
- PALAZZO COMUNALE (14th-15th centuries)
- PIAZZA GRANDE - monumental heart of the town, on top of the hill. Outside the walls, the Renaissance masterpiece by Antonio da Sangallo il Vecchio, the splendid church of SAN BIAGIO (1518-1545).
- 1 May: Festa di Santa Agnese (patron saint)
- July/early August: Cantiere Internazionale d'Arte (theatre, music, figurative arts)
- 13-15 August: Bruscello (traditional popular theatrical performance in rhyme)
- 29 August: Bravo delle Botti (parade in 14th century costume, and barrel race)
Montepulciano is around an hour and a quarter from Borgo al Cerro, and given the importance of the local area, it is advised that you spend the whole day out. The following places are not far away: Cortona (around 30 km) or PIENZA, SAN QUIRICO D’ORCIA, Abbey of SANT’ANTIMO), OUTLET (clothing store) near VALDICHIANA exit off A1 motorway.
FINE FOOD AND WINE
- Vino Nobile di Montepulciano (DOCG) and Rosso di Montepulciano (DOC)