APARTMENTS NEAR SIENA, TUSCANY
DISTANCE FROM BORGO AL CERRO: ca 65 km (80 mins)
A small hill-top town (567 mt) south of Siena, it owes its fame to the wine which has made it famous throughout the world: brunello.
- PALAZZO COMUNALE (13th-14th centuries with heraldic crests, a loggia, and tower)
- LA ROCCA (built by the Siennese in 1361, there is a wine bar inside, and it has panoramic views over the surrounding town and countryside).
- Second Sunday in August: tournament to mark start of hunting season
- First weekend in September: National Honey Fair
- Last Sunday in October: Sagra del Tordo (local fair on theme of the thrush)
The area is about one and a quarter hours away from Borgo al Cerro, but we recommend you devote a whole day to it, given the number of interesting places nearby, such as: SANT'ANTIMO Abbey, PIENZA and SAN QUIRICO D’ORCIA , MONTEPULCIANO or Le CRETE area and the Abbey of MONTE ULIVETO. Guided tours of Brunello wine cellars
FINE FOOD AND WINE
- Traditional local products: honey
- Wines: Brunello, which goes well with all kinds of game meat, mature cheeses, parmesan, red meat; to be served at 18-20° in large lead-crystal glasses, if possible after decanting in lead-crystal carafe.