APARTMENTS NEAR SIENA, TUSCANY
DISTANCE FROM BORGO AL CERRO: ca 68 km (75 mins)
A major medieval centre in the Maremma area, which has several attractive features of great artistic interest.
- CATHEDRAL (Duomo) (Romanesque-Gothic, dedicated to San Cerbone and built between 1000 and 1300)
- PALAZZO PRETORIO
- MUSEUM OF MINING (exhibits on mine-working and mining techniques)
- Fourth Sunday in May and second Sunday in August: Balestro del Girifalco (costumed competition between archers from the town’s various districts, using crossbows).
- Last Sunday in July: Rocks and Minerals Market
- August: classical music concerts
Massa Marittima is around 1 hour by car from Borgo al Cerro; we suggest you combine your visit with a day at the seaside on the Tyrrhenian coast (Follonica-Punta Ala-Castiglione delle Pescaia) or a visit to the beautiful Gothic abbey of SAN GALGANO (a well-preserved but “open-air” abbey since it lost its roof) and the almost-adjacent small medieval church of MONTESIEPI, containing a legendary SWORD IN THE STONE.
FINE FOOD AND WINE
Simple, good-quality trattorias on the road from Borgo al Cerro to San Galgano and Massa Marittima. Seafood specialities on the coast.