APARTMENTS NEAR SIENA, TUSCANY
DISTANCE FROM BORGO AL CERRO: ca 133 km (90 mins)
This charming and delightful historic city still retains its fortifed and embanked medieval walls, which are now used as a public park with lawns and trees.
- SAN MICHELE IN FORO Church
- PALAZZO MANSI (containing important art collection)
- SAN FREDIANO (facade, and works of art inside)
- PIAZZA del MERCATO with its distinctive oval shape.
- April/May: Lucca music festival (concerts in various churches)
- 12 July: historical parade and Palio della Balestra
- 13 September: Luminaria di Santa Croce (solemn, candle-lit procession to commemorate the miraculous arrival of the "Volto Santo" crucifix)
- October/November (bi-annual; years with even numbers): International Comic-Book Fair
- Antiques market (held in much of the old town centre): every third weekend of the month.
Tourists who decide to visit the city for a few hours only could round off the day with a brief stop at MONTECATINI, a lively town with a thermal resort, and full of shops and places to go to at night, on the road back to Borgo al Cerro.
FINE FOOD AND WINE
Vegetable soups (spelt, artichokes, beans, peas); Folaga alla Puccini (wild coot with anchovy sauce, fish roe, oil, lemon); buccellato (sweet dough-nut with aniseed seeds and sun-dried raisins).
- DOC-Wines: Colline Lucchesi (white and red) and Montecarlo (white and red).