APARTMENTS NEAR SIENA, TUSCANY
DISTANCE FROM BORGO AL CERRO: 50 km (60 mins)
The city which is a symbol of Renaissance art and culture.
- PIAZZALE MICHELANGELO (fantastic panoramic view of city)
- SAN MINIATO AL MONTE (symbol of Romanesque art in Florence)
- DER BOBOLI-GARTEN and PALAZZO PITTI
- PONTE VECCHIO (oldest bridge in city with picturesque jewellery shops)
- PIAZZA SIGNORIA and DER KORRIDOR VON VASARI
- THE CATHEDRAL (DUOMO)
- BAPISTERY and CAMPANILE DI GIOTTO (bell-tower)
- SANTA CROCE and CAPPELLA DE’ PAZZI
- UFFIZI GALLERY and MEDICI CHAPELS
- SAN LORENZO street market, SAN MARCO
- SANTA MARIA NOVELLA
- VIA TORNABUONI and VIA DELLA VIGNA NUOVA (shopping)
- SANTO SPIRITO, SANTA MARIA DEL CARMINE, BRANCACCI CHAPEL and much more besides...
- January/February: fashion shows and other fashion-related events Easter: Scoppio del Carro
- end April/1st May: international arts and crafts trade fair-cum-market
- end April/June: Maggio Musicale Fiorentino (operatic season)
- Feast of the Assumption: Festa del Grillo
- June: Calcio Storico Fiorentino (re-enactment of historical game of Florence-rules soccer)
- June/July: fasion shows, fashion-related events
- 24 June: Festa di San Giovanni, patron saint of Florence (fireworks on view from Piazzale Michelangelo)
- 7 September: Festa della Rificolona
- September/October (alternate years): international antiques show)
- Last Sunday in every month (Piazza Ciompi): flea market and small antiques market
Avoid driving; the traffic in Florence is chaotic, and parking is very dear. To reach the city from Borgo al Cerro, you are advised to leave your car at Colle di Val d’Elsa (10 km) and board the public bus which goes straight to the center of Florence in ca 1 hour (there are many services throughout the day, until late in the evening).
Double-check the opening hours of museums and galleries, and whether you have to book for the places you want to visit. You can get around the city on foot, but in summer Florence gets very hot, so you are advised not to stay out in the sun in the middle hours of the day. Given its proximity to us, more than one visit to the city is possible.
FINE FOOD AND WINE
Ribollita (vegetable and bread soup) and fiorentina steak (grilled), tripe, cantuccini biscuits and vin santo.
- Wine: Chianti classico D.O.C.G.