APARTMENTS NEAR SIENA, TUSCANY
DISTANCE FROM BORGO AL CERRO: ca 3 km (5 mins)
The small medieval town ("borgo") of Casole still imbued with a strong rural culture, boasts an orange flag, awarded by Touring Club Italia, in recognition of its healthy environment, the fine things it has to offer, and its culture of hospitality.
- MUNICIPIO(Town Hall) (permanent exhibits of contemporary art)
- COLLEGIATA (works by Marco Romano, Della Robbia)
- MUSEUM (important archeological finds on view)
- LA CANONICA (church)
- MUSEO ARTE VIVA and GALLERIA DEL NOVECENTO
- Good Friday: procession of Holy Cross (in costume)
- Second Sunday in July: Palio di Casole (local horse-race)
- Festa della Vendemmia (grape-harvest and wine-tasting festival): October (at Mensano)
Don’t miss a visit to Mensano (with its beautiful Romanesque Chiesa di San Giovanni – splendid views and excellent restaurant). Not far away lie the fine rural historic hamlets of BELFORTE, MONTECASTELLI, and MONTEGUIDI. Of particular note is the small town of RADICONDOLI.
FINE FOOD AND WINE
Dishes in the Tuscan tradition (crostini neri, zuppa di pane, steaks, tagliatelle, game). Every evening, in the days leading up to and after the Palio (in July), dinners are held in the various historic parts of the town, which anyone can take part in; the food is simple and traditional but of high quality, and inexpensive.
- Wines: Chianti Colli Senesi (red).